Story Highlights
- The U.S. Court of International Trade ruled that Trump’s replacement tariffs lacked a legal basis because no qualifying balance-of-payments deficit exists
- The decision currently applies to two importers and the state of Washington, but may have broader implications
- The government plans to refund more than $166 billion in tariffs from the first round, with payments expected next week
What Happened
In a victory for importers and a setback for the Trump administration, the Court of International Trade struck down a second round of worldwide tariffs that the president ordered to replace import levies that were outlawed by the U.S. Supreme Court. The ruling was handed down Wednesday afternoon and immediately sent shockwaves through the business community.
After the Supreme Court ruled in February that President Trump had exceeded his authority in ordering double-digit tariffs on virtually everything the U.S. imports, Trump sought to replace the import taxes using a different law. The administration’s legal theory relied on a statute that authorizes tariffs in response to large and persistent balance-of-payments deficits. The trade court ruled that condition does not currently exist, so the replacement tariffs are not warranted.
The court’s decision was limited to two importers who challenged the tariffs, along with the state of Washington. It was not immediately clear whether other importers would have to keep paying the levies. Legal experts and trade attorneys moved quickly to assess whether the ruling could be extended to the broader universe of businesses that had been subject to the duties.
Jeffrey Schwab, who represented the importers on behalf of the Liberty Justice Center, said the scope of the ruling remained uncertain. “It’s not entirely clear and probably will depend on what happens now,” Schwab told reporters. The administration is expected to appeal and is simultaneously exploring other statutory avenues to impose tariffs without running afoul of the courts.
Jay Foreman, whose Basic Fun! company imports toys such as Lincoln Logs and Tonka Trucks, expects to collect approximately $7 million in refunds for the earlier tariffs. His company is one of the two that successfully challenged the replacement levies. Foreman was blunt in his assessment: the blanket approach to tariffs was misguided, and his company had fought back and won.
Why It Matters
The ruling is the second major judicial check on the Trump administration’s tariff strategy in fewer than three months and signals that the courts are actively drawing firm lines around the executive branch’s import tax authority. For the White House, this creates a growing legal headache that no amount of executive creativity has yet been able to solve. Each new tariff mechanism the administration deploys has faced swift legal challenge and, in both major cases, has been struck down.
For American businesses, the ruling offers some relief from a period of extraordinary tariff-driven cost pressure, but uncertainty remains the dominant mood. The administration’s stated intention to continue exploring other legal pathways means companies cannot confidently plan their procurement, pricing, or supply chains around a stable tariff environment in the months ahead.
Foreman argued that while targeted tariffs on specific strategic industries may make sense, a blanket levy on products from every country in the world hurts businesses and consumers. That critique reflects a broader consensus among trade economists, many of whom have cautioned that sweeping tariff strategies tend to raise costs without delivering the promised domestic manufacturing revival.
The political implications are also significant. The Trump administration made tariffs a centerpiece of its economic agenda, framing them as the engine of a domestic manufacturing renaissance and debt reduction. There is little evidence so far of the blockbuster economic growth Trump promised last April when he vowed that tariffs would pay down the national debt very quickly.
Economic and Global Context
The initial emergency tariffs cost importers tens of billions of dollars. The government now plans to refund more than $166 billion, with the first payments expected next week. That figure represents one of the largest government refund operations in American commercial history and will require enormous administrative coordination across customs agencies and thousands of individual importers.
The replacement tariffs were time-limited and set to expire in July regardless. That expiration date, combined with the court ruling, now leaves the administration in a race to find a legally durable alternative before its tariff authority evaporates entirely. Congressional tariff legislation has been discussed but faces significant procedural hurdles and political opposition from within the Republican caucus.
Global trading partners are watching the legal turbulence closely. Countries that adjusted their trade policies in anticipation of sustained U.S. tariffs may now recalibrate, potentially weakening American leverage in ongoing trade negotiations with the EU, China, and others. The unpredictability of U.S. tariff policy has itself become a form of economic disruption for international markets.
The administration continues to explore other options to impose tariffs using different statutes, including sector-specific Section 232 national security tariffs, which have fared better in court. However, deploying those mechanisms broadly enough to replicate the revenue and pressure generated by the universal tariffs would likely trigger fresh legal challenges.
Implications
The immediate question is whether the Court of International Trade ruling will be extended to importers beyond the two who filed the original challenge. If courts determine the ruling has universal applicability, the administration could face an abrupt collapse of its replacement tariff regime and additional refund obligations running into the tens of billions of dollars.
For Republican lawmakers, the ruling is an awkward development. Many supported the tariff agenda as a political and economic strategy but now face constituents who are both receiving refund checks and paying higher prices — a mixed message that complicates the midterm pitch. Democrats are expected to highlight the court losses as evidence of executive overreach.
For small and mid-sized importers — the backbone of American retail and manufacturing supply chains — the ruling provides some financial breathing room but no certainty. Many businesses absorbed tariff costs without passing them to customers in hopes of recovering the money through legal channels. Experts say many businesses may never fully recover what they paid, particularly those that lack the legal resources to navigate the refund process.
The broader implication is that the administration’s second-term trade agenda now depends heavily on either a legislative solution from Congress or a novel legal theory that can survive judicial scrutiny — neither of which appears imminent.
Sources
“Trade court strikes down a second round of Trump tariffs”


